DeepWoods Calls

General Ducky Conversations
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2nd 28 ga avatar?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:53 pm 

Was rummaging through a bag of paper 28 ga hulls an elderly shooter gave me (elderly is anyone even older than me: an old born-before-there-was-dirt curmudgeon), this guy was a WWII glider pilot and 80-some years old but still a deadly skeet shooter with .410, 28, 20 and 12.   :-D And the nicest guy in the world.

One day at the skeet range a mother brought her youngster out to shoot who wanted to shoot in 4-H shooting sports.  He had a new Ruger O/U and he never touched a bird out of the entire round.  This older fellow, Roger, was shooting last and when we got to the station 8 low house, he said, "Son, I've been watching and you'll be a good shot, but your stock is too long.  Here shoot the low house again with my shorter .410 O/U (gold inlay, grade 6 Browning or some such) and I'll tell you just how to do it and you'll break this station. He told the boy how, the boy called "Pull" and he just vaporized the claybird and thanked Roger, took his own gun back and went running off the field with a mile wide smile telling his mom he could shoot, they just needed to get his gun shortened.  Mom was about to cry.  What a fun moment and sort of this guy in a capsule.

Anyway, in those hulls was an orange hull.
Headstamp is C-I-L on top, IMPERIAL on bottom and 28 on either side.

If any of you, particularly our Canadian members would like another 28 ga choice for an avatar, post up.  I can take a close up of it like the Win headstamp and see if Wade and Rob would add it to the available avatars.
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:13 pm 

Neat story Rich.  That's what it's all about - to see the excitement in their eyes when they realized they can do it too.

Thanks,

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:31 pm 

Shooting is fun...teaching kids to shoot is funner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:46 pm 

Leroyha,when I got my first 28 gauge for Christmas back in 1967 it came with a box of CIL Imperial number 6.They were the old orange shells with the markings you described.I still have that first box and hulls.As I fired each shell I saved the empty and folded it over and saved it in the box.The box still has my Dad's name on the cornor where the man who owned the store put the box aside to save it till Dad could pay for it.I still have the shotgun and box it came in.The shotgun box has Dad's name on it as well for the same reason.

A few years later CIL went to red paper and then red plastic on their 28 gauge shells.I have a few of the old orange paper and red paper shells.The smell from those old paper shells was sweet. :)

Would love to have an avatar of the old shell.

Great store about the old man and the young boy.Makes a person feel proud to be a shooter when something like that happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:50 pm 

28 Ga, that's a great story about your first 28 gauge and box of CIL shells.  Great memory refresher, I bet.

I'll grab the camera and shell and see if I can get a good picture with the close-up setting and send it off to see if the powers that be will put it up as a 2nd 28 ga avatar.  

I don't have anything to hold over Rob's head, but I can always threaten Wade with blowing one of his short reed goose calls in public and ruining his business' reputation!   :P  
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:04 pm 

Got the photo taken and sent off to Wade and he sent on to Rob, so lookin' good.  
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:04 pm 

Thanks Leroyha and richroux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:37 am 

What did I do? I don't get many thanks and will grab it but I really wasn't involved in doing anything.....    ;)  Great story though. I used to keep fired shells in my "private" box under my bed cause I liked the smell of the old paper shells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:19 pm 

My mistake Leroyha. :oops: Was just starting to answer the post when it started to thunder and lightning.Was in a hurry to go off line and unhook the computer and added your name by mistake.

Will not get to say what I wanted right now as I just got a call from a friend and will have to answer later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:23 pm 

Leroyha,seems I also had your name down on post on August 11 as well.Not sure how I got mixed up.Must be old age creeping up. :)

Telling the story got me thinking about other stories concering that 28 gauge.

After the 28 gauge was purchased it was put in a safe place till Christmas.I knew I was getting the 28 gauge for Christmas and one day when Dad was not home I talked Mum into letting me clean it.Well I knew very little about cleaning shotguns.So I went and got a large piece of cloth and tied it to a piece of twine.Put the twine down the barrel and proceeded to pull it through.Well,you guessed it,the cloth was too large and lodged a very short way in the barrel.Could not get it out.

Later Dad came home and was not pleased.Thats an understatement. :) Any way he goes and gets his electric drill and puts a long wide bit on it.The kind used to drill holes in wood.He then proceeds to drill out the jammed cloth.Pieces of cloth went everywhere but he finally got enough off to get  the cleaning cloth out.He then turned to me and said,"Now put that away and you don't see it again till Christmas. :)

In drilling out the cloth he had made a couple of small nicks on the inside of the barrel.The marks are still there and they remind me of this incident every time I clean this 28 gauge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:17 pm 

If we could see into the future on things like that, we would not feel so bad at the time. My dad has been gone for almost 20 years and it's hard to picture him in my mind, but when I glance at his guns in my rack or look at his hunting knife, that replaced his favorite hunting knife, that I bent the tip on while sticking it in the ground after begging him to let me mess with it...his face comes in like a digital hd picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:42 pm 

Leroyha wrote:
If we could see into the future on things like that, we would not feel so bad at the time.

I hear you on that,Leroyha.No doubt Dad probably got a chuckle out of it in time as well.

Its funny how things like that stick in a persons mind.I can well understand how you felt after bending your Dad's favourite knife.Guess its all part of growing up.No doubt our Dad's had something similar happen to them with their Dad's.Most likely the reason they were not too hard on us at the time.Remembering something that had happened to them while growing up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:35 am 

I imagine our dads were telling others about it and laughing at work the next day. I gave my dad a lot of material when I was younger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

richroux wrote:
Got the photo taken and sent off to Wade and he sent on to Rob, so lookin' good.  
Rich
New avatar available now.  Enjoy!  :thumbup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:01 pm 

THANKS!  You are a good man, Rob.  I don't care what Wade says about you.   :twisted:
Rich